Christian Wedding Toast Example


Are you writing a God-centered wedding toast and need a real life example to see how someone else worked it out? Well, you’ve come to the right place. The following is a simple toast I gave at my brother Matthew and his wife Heather’s wedding.

Background: My brother and his fiancĂ©, now wife, are both redheaded. Now, when I went about planning this wedding toast, it would be easy to make jokes about the redheaded babies they’re going to have, but that’s the easy laugh. There’s no challenge there and it doesn’t really tell us anything about the couple. However, this doesn’t mean you can’t drop this type of humor entirely, it just can’t be our focus, or we’ll miss the whole point of the toast, which is to honor the bride and groom, and most importantly, Jesus Christ.


Timing: As you read, try and feel out the pauses and the quicker areas. Almost every paragraph had a pause or multiple pauses. Remember, silence at the right moment is essential to a successful wedding toast. You have to give the audience time to laugh and smile. And when you give the toast, it’s okay to smile and break a grin because that helps everyone know it’s okay to chuckle.

Need More? Checkout my article on How to Write a Christian Wedding Toast or my other Christian Wedding Toast Example. I also offer a more in-depth ebook through Kindle called How To Give A Christian Wedding ToastSeveral websites offer guides for the Best Man and Maid of Honor speeches (aff links).

Matt and Heather Wedding Toast

As many of you know, Heather moved here after graduating from the same school as Matthew. After she moved, Matthew and Heather began hanging out a bit more together. About a month or two later Matthew came up to my room and sat down on my bed.

He just kind of sat there and stared at me.

“What do you need?” I asked him.

After a moment, he said, “What do you think of Heather?”

Now, Matthew and Heather hadn’t even started dating at this point but every woman in our church knew they were going to get married…

BUT Matthew didn’t know that, so I had to play along—helping him come to this conclusion on his own.

So I said, “I don’t know Matthew. What do you think of Heather?”

But instead of answering me, he asked another question.

“Do you think I should ask her out?”

So I asked him the same question, “I don’t know... Do you think you should ask her out?”

He seemed to like the idea, but he needed help, so I said, “Well, do you think she’s hot?”

“Yeah… she’s real hot. Especially when she sings!”

So what’s the issue then? But then I remembered the issue.

Matthew was a stubborn child.

“Stop hitting your little brother, Matthew.”

“But I don’t want to.”

“Marry a redheaded girl when you grow up, Matthew.”

“But I don’t want to.”

“Wear your sunscreen when you go outside to play, Matthew.”

“But I don’t want to.”

That’s the type of wild lifestyle my brother lived as a child. He was crazy.

So when Matthew grew up, it took him a little while to realize Heather was exactly what he needed.

Matthew, Heather is your sunscreen.

Everyone knew you needed her.

And one day you figured that out too.

That was a good day.

The church women were pretty happy too.

The point of all this is that most often you don’t know what you need, but God does, and He’s surprising you when you least expect it.

I saw that in your relationship. Matthew, you thought you two were just friends, but God saw better, and so did Heater.

Proverbs 30:18-19 says:

There are three things that amaze me—
no, four things that I don’t understand:
how an eagle glides through the sky,
how a snake slithers on a rock,
how a ship navigates the ocean,
how a man loves a woman.
 (NLT)

I urge you to let God continue to amaze you, not only in each other’s love, but His as well.

God’s done a pretty good job so far.

He knows exactly what you two need—you need each other… and you need sunscreen.

The Response: A lot of people laughed and even more complimented me on my great speaking ability. Little did they know I’d written the final draft a few weeks earlier and had enough time to practice to make it flow and not seem like I was giving a rehearsed speech.

If you would still like further resources, please check out this this ebook How To Give A Christian Wedding Toast (aff link). In this brief kindle book you will discover how to give a fun, creative, and Christ-centered wedding toast as you grow in your relationship with the Lord. In four easy steps you will learn the “Christian Toast Idea” method of wedding speeches.
Photo by: SteveConnors21


CovenantEyes.com